- 3 cups (16 ounces) raw unsalted cashews
- 1 tablespoon of Flora
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Honey or maple syrup, (optional)
*this recipe can also be made with peanuts
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and add the cashews to a round or square cake pan (or rimmed baking sheet).
Roast nuts for 3 minutes, shake pan then roast for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the nuts are lightly browned and smells nutty (careful, they can burn quickly). Let cool until you can handle them.
MAKE CASHEW BUTTER
- Add the roasted cashews to the bowl of a food processor.
- Process 1 minute then scrape sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add Flora, and then process another 2 to 3 minutes until the cashew spread is shiny and smooth.
- As you process them, the cashews will go from whole nuts, to a fine powder, and finally to a creamy smooth substance.
- Stopping and scraping or breaking up any large clumps will help to quicken the process.
- When the cashew butter is smooth and creamy, add the salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Process for 10 to 20 seconds and then taste. If you feel it needs it, add additional salt, cinnamon or vanilla.
- To sweeten it, add a teaspoon or more of honey or maple syrup and process another 5 to 10 seconds so that it is well incorporated.
- For crunchy cashew butter, stir in the reserved chopped cashews.
- Store in a sealed container or a jar, for a few weeks.
*It will last longer when stored in the fridge.